With a career at HMSHost, you really benefit! We Offer
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Generous paid time off (vacation, flex or sick)
- Holiday pay
- Meal and Transportation Benefits
- *401(k) retirement plan with company match or Pension
- *Company paid life insurance
- *Tuition reimbursement
- Employee assistance program
- Training and exciting career growth opportunities
- Referral program – refer a friend and earn a bonus
*Benefits may vary by position so ask your recruiter for details.
The purpose of the Senior Manager (SM) position is to manage a QSR restaurant or small cluster of restaurants or points-of-sale in close proximity to each other with Sales of generally up to $5M within the State of California. The SM ensures the restaurant is clean, staffed, open for business, and operates to high operational and financial standards. The SM uses broad discretion and judgment to make great leadership decisions, and is responsible for the overall success of the restaurant.
Open and Close
- Ensures all assistant managers and staff recognize the importance of closing the restaurant to prepare the restaurant for opening, holding Shift Managers accountable for executing all closing and opening checklist/requirements
- Understands, adopts and consistently demonstrates defined manager behaviors designed to create an environment where employee engagement thrives
- Deploys staff and resources to maximize profitability within the restaurant, and accepts P&L responsibility.
- Assigns work tasks and activities, prepares schedules, and ensures that all shifts are covered
- Provides restaurant staff(s) with consistent support, coaching and encouragement necessary to achieve business goals
- Interviews job candidates, makes hiring, termination, advancement, promotion or any other status change decisions for associates within the unit. Promotes HMSHost as an employer of choice within the local community
- Ensures company and branch diversity and inclusion philosophy is understood and actively executed within the restaurant
- Ensures on-boarding and off-boarding of all restaurant associates, to include all activities related to compliance with proper badging requirements, orientation, OJT, and other company training/processes
- Reads and understands financial and operational data and reports to monitor progress towards unit goals and assigns associates to meet those objectives.
- Recognizes restaurant staff for their contributions and performance, including using Shout-Out tools and materials; supports company recognition initiatives and develops and implements plans that will motivate team.
- Accepts, understands, adopts, trains and champions all Employee Engagement behaviors
- Ensures that the company has most current contact information for all associates working in the restaurant.
Product Availability/Working Equipment
- Ensures daily orders are prepared and units are stocked with appropriate levels of product and teaches associates these order procedures
- Oversees receiving goods, processing invoices, and contacting vendors for supply chain issues/product availability.
- Maintains proficiency in management information systems and tools like MIV, Crunch Time, Kronos and other programs as utilized by the company.
- Monitors and maintains restaurant equipment, schedules routine service or repairs as needed.
- Participates and manages company response to NSF and other audits
- Minimizes waste, records as needed and participates in food donation program.
- Assesses skill levels of restaurant associates and conducts and coordinates on-the-job and other training/education activities as necessary
- Embraces technology and inspires employees to understand and adopt new technologies implemented by the company
- Maintains a working knowledge of all applicable brand standards, CBAs, Landlord lease agreements, and all procedures and protocols to maximize brand/landlord/labor relations, and teaches associates these standards
- Develops and implements creative strategies to increase revenue
- Manages the day-to-day activities of associates within a defined individual or group of restaurants or points-of-sale
- Uses judgment and discretion to resolve customer and associate questions and problems and determines when to refer more complex issues to senior level leaders
- Utilizes associate’s strengths and provides ongoing feedback that reflects on progress against individual development goals and business goals
- Implements marketing programs as directed by OSC or brand initiatives, complies with promotional activity, drives revenue and interacts with support teams for AB programming, sales matrix, Coke programming or other as directed.
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of all federal, state, and local sanitary, safety, and health standards, and all procedures and protocols to comply with the law
- Holds Managers accountable for ensuring all safety standards are understood and followed
- Trains new managers and associates in wellness check protocols and adheres to new COVID 19 requirements.
- Understands and performs all Health and Safety activities as specified in the Manager’s Guide to Associate Health and Safety
Reporting relationship and other important information
- The SM position as described falls under the California Fair Labor Standards act as an non-exempt position, requiring compliance with all rest period, meal break, overtime, timekeeping, and other statutory rules for non-exempt employees.
- The position typically reports to the Director of Operations, or an intermediate zone, cluster or area leader within the assigned location.
- The SM position is expected to work a varied and rotating schedule to be on site at various operating days and hours each week; some opening shifts, during some busy day parts, and during some closing shifts to monitor restaurant associates’ work activities during these different days and times.
Minimum Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Work Environment
- SMs must have documented and demonstrated skills managing the types of restaurants (QSR, Casual Dine, Full Service, similar complexity, Union and Non-Union, etc.) to which the role is assigned, to include overall responsibility for success and failure of the restaurant under their leadership as identified by P&L success for multiple annual cycles for the type or restaurant assigned. Generally speaking, restaurant P&L management experience for a minimum of 3 years with underlying overall working restaurant experience of 5-7 years in type is typically necessary to be successful.
- Graduation from a Food Service Management or Culinary program may substitute for a portion of the time based experience requirement for each of these roles
- Demonstrates team management, delegation and issue resolution skills and the ability to manage multiple and concurrent priorities
- Demonstrates knowledge of HMSHost policies and products, service, quality, equipment and operations standards, or able to demonstrate this knowledge within a reasonable time from hire or promotion
- Requires the ability to speak, read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and policy documents, understand menus and brand standards as well as converse comfortably with individuals
All job requirements are subject to change to reflect the evolving position requirements or to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a threat or risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to which will be required in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related duties as requested by their supervisor/manager (within guidelines and compliance with Federal and State Laws). Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.
HMSHost is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.