Oversee projects for the Kyo-ya Waikiki Complex, Central Resources Team, Sheraton Maui and Palace Hotel (together, the “Properties”) from developing the prioritized capital improvement plan through the planning, costing, design, implementation, testing and closeout phases. Ultimately responsible for the project’s success, based on objectives set by project stakeholders (Director of Engineers, General Managers and Ownership, etc…) Complete projects according to specifications and deadlines, all while keeping the project within budget and ensuring the upkeep of guest areas to maintain attractive and profitable hotels. Responsible for all Code Compliance and ensuring projects are adhering to federal, state and county laws and regulations.
Education And Experience
- High school or equivalent education required. Qualification in project management, engineering degree or equivalent preferred. Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management. And knowledge of project management techniques and tools preferred. Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification is preferred. Also, ability to obtain and/or maintain any government required licenses, certificates or permits.
At least three to five years direct work experience in project management capacity in a major hotel, hospital, or building. Proven experience in people management, strategic planning, risk management and change management.
Core Work Activities
Project Management Duties
- Lead the planning and implementation of projects
- Code Compliance
- Facilitate the definition of project scope, goals and deliverables
- Point of contact for all project related questions and comments from the ownership team
- Define project tasks and resource requirements
- Develop full scale project plans to meet goals and objectives of Kyo-ya and Marriott International
- Provide support, and in certain cases act as the leader to assemble and coordinate project staff
- Manage Annual capital project budgets, progress and forecasts
- Assist with and at times manage project resource allocation
- Plan and schedule project timelines with property teams
- Track project deliverables using appropriate tools
- Provide direction and support to project teams
- Quality assurance
- Constantly monitor and report on progress of the project to all stakeholders
- Present reports defining project progress, problems, and solutions
- Implement and manage project changes and interventions to achieve project outputs
- Conduct training of the Kyo-ya capital project policies and procedures to applicable staff members
- Assure adherence to the capital project approval process
- Monitor and correct all stakeholders to assure compliance of the project approval process
- Act as an administrator of DocuSign or like system to manage the project release preparation/approval process
Managing Projects And Policies
- Achieves operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and corporate brand standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing changes
- Meets financial objectives by being proficient with tax allocation and asset classification process, corporate financial policies, forecasting requirements; preparing annual capital budgets; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions
- Adhere to all corporate-required purchasing policies and controls, including, but not limited to, all outside contractor bids, budgets, and schedules. Follow prescribed safety procedures for personnel and equipment by the company and OSHA
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting accountability for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Anticipating And Delivering On The Needs Of Key Stakeholders
- Responsible for making sure that all departments come together in a timely manner to complete the overall goal. This requires the ability to schedule tasks and coordinate with various team members to accomplish the results. The completed project may require different layers to be performed by different teams.
- Responsible for keeping projects on track and possessing the ability to foresee the entire project as a whole at all times. Very important to communicate frequently with all members that are involved in the project and not make any assumptions. Failure to effectively communicate direct orders at any layer of the project could result in missed deadlines and unsatisfactory performance
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability and willingness to facilitate the process of resolving project related challenges that may arise from time to time with vendors. Contractors and consultants per request from ownership and property management (i.e. delayed/incomplete billing, lack of required documentation, etc.)
- Prepare technical data, bidding, project work, alterations and repairs for properties. Must have basic knowledge of building codes
- Stay abreast with current fire prevention, environmental health and safety, and engineering systems. Attend meetings regarding hotel operations: department, fire, safety, health, quality improvement
Managing And Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Ensures team members are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Ensures new hires participate in the department’s orientation program.
- Ensures new hires receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job.
- Creates appropriate development plans which develop team members based on their individual strengths, development needs, career aspirations and abilities.
- Conduct performance review process for employees.
- Participates in hiring activities as appropriate.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.