The position could be based out of Mexico City or maybe San Jose, Costa Rica or Panama City
The addition of new hotels is one of the principal drivers of Marriott’s earnings growth strategy and an important element in maintaining and advancing the quality and brand equity of Marriott’s Lodging System. The company’s unit growth strategy focuses primarily on acquisition of management contracts and licensing of our hotel brands to third party owner-operators under franchise agreements. This position performs a central, critical role in identifying, structuring deals, and successfully closing on opportunities for new hotels, and building win-win relationships with new and existing hotel owners and franchisees.
Specific Job Summary
As a member of Hotel Development professional staff, the Manager/Sr Manager contributes a high level of specialized knowledge and skill in the market planning area to support the department and/or function objectives. Generally, works with considerable independence, researching, targeting, and approaching owners and investors of new build hotel projects as well as hotel conversion opportunities, developing a strategic action plan together with his/her manager (the Senior Director of Development) in alignment with broader business objectives.
The position of Manager/Sr Manager of Development requires a thorough understanding of the hotel industry, regional hotel market dynamics and possesses a solid network of regional hotel developers and investors. The Manager/Sr Manager is responsible for analyzing and evaluating hotel markets to determine the potential for Marriott branding and rebranding opportunities. As a part of the Development team, the Manager/Sr Manager supports the Development and Market organizations.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Caribbean & Latin America Lodging Development, the Manager/Sr Manager will be responsible for reviewing potential markets and site locations, pursuing franchise contracts with third party owner-developers, including an emphasis on identifying new markets and sites for current owners and franchisees; with an initial focus on Mexico and Central America.
Specific Expected Contributions
Responsible for managing the initial aspects of hotel development process, including:
- Maintain and develop a strong network of contacts in the local hotel and real estate investment sector.
- Implementing a strategic process to identify markets/sites for current owners/franchisees to develop Marriott branded hotels and add to their Marriott portfolio.
- Assist Senior Director Development in pre-screening markets, market planning, generating new leads as well as qualifying and following-up on leads.
- Assist in identifying and approaching unencumbered target hotels for conversion to Marriott brands.
- Proactively and strategically visiting new markets, farming new relationships, and building a network to fuel quality opportunities to brand new projects and conversions.
- Perform initial operator screens by evaluating owner/operator strength and weaknesses.
- Work with other disciplines to underwrite opportunities.
- Review and analyze potential hotel conversion, new build, or acquisition opportunities for integration into the Marriott systems.
- Enhancing the region’s growth strategy; and thereby optimizing Marriott’s market share of new deals in CALA.
Working with a cross-functional team that may include the following disciplines (in which, the candidate should have some degree of experience):
- Brand Management
- Global Design
- Project Finance
- Hotel Finance
- Corporate Accounting
- Risk Management
- Legal Counsel
- Human Resources
- Responsible for preserving and/or maximizing financial value to the Company by employing creativity and diligence in identifying the best markets with the best owners for new hotels.
- Support Feasibility and Development Planning team with franchise analyses and local market underwriting for potential new and conversion opportunities in the region.
- Presenting comprehensive project updates to the Senior Director, Regional Vice President, Chief Development Officer and other Senior Management as needed.
- Performing other duties as appropriate.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
The successful candidate should possess the following attributes:
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing).
- Excellent inter-personal skills and capability of both building lasting relationships and “selling” Marriott’s benefits to third-parties including negotiating skills.
- A “rainmaker”, with a natural talent for maintaining a strong network of valuable contacts, especially in market.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively understand hotel transactions (both franchised and managed); handle multiple projects on short timetables; and manage staff resources efficiently.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, proactive outlook and approach to professional life is essential.
- An ability to work in a team environment with a small, but diverse team is critical.
- Mature, professional demeanor, capable of expressing confident, independent judgment.
- Ability to travel extensively.
- Analytical and critical thinking skills as well as an understanding of financial aspects.
- Organization skills – leadership visits and presentations to owners.
- Market knowledge.
- Minimum of 2-3 years or equivalent relevant experience in various aspects of real estate or hospitality, including financial analysis, business development, account management, sales and marketing, project management, and hotel brokerage.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a business discipline (e.g., hospitality, finance, accounting, economics, or real estate.) Advanced degree preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish and English.
- Travel will be required.
- Familiarity with capital markets a plus.