The Inn at Virginia Tech and Skelton Conference Center is looking for an experienced Sous Chef to join their culinary team.
The Sous Chef will assist in the planning, direction, coordination, and execution of all operations within the culinary department. The Sous Chef is responsible for ensuring that all culinary operations are carried out professionally, to standards and at the highest level of service. The Sous Chef will achieve desired outcomes through assisting in the creation, development, and maintenance of a competent, motivated, and empowered culinary staff. The Sous Chef will effectively lead, train, coach, motivate, engage, and provide feedback to the culinary staff daily. In the absence of an Executive Chef, the Sous Chef will fulfill this role. The Sous Chef will always maintain a hands-on approach to all culinary operations.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Maintain a hands-on approach to all culinary operations.
- Work collaboratively with all members of the food and beverage team in menu planning, development, and execution.
- Ensure all culinary staff is properly trained to standards and able to carry out the operations of the department.
- Assists in calculating accurate, theoretical, and weighted food costs. Coordinates with accounting for food costs.
- Gives instructions to cooking personnel in fine points of cooking.
- Cooks and carves meats, and prepares dishes, such as sauces, during rush periods and for banquets and other social functions.
- Tastes and evaluates all food items within the operation.
- Estimates production needs on a daily and weekly basis. Communicates production needs to “key” kitchen associates daily.
- May schedule and receive food and beverage deliveries, checking delivery contents to verify product quality and quantity.
- Work with culinary staff to ensure portion sizes, garnishing, presentation, and preparation of food exceed standards.
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving and building maintenance in lodging and dining facilities.
- Keep records required by government agencies regarding sanitation, and food subsidies when appropriate.
- Assist in establishing standards for personnel performance and customer service.
- Review work procedures and operational problems to determine ways to improve service, performance, or safety.
- Organize and direct worker training programs, resolve personnel problems, hire new staff, and evaluate employee performance.
- Record and analyze the number, type, and cost of items sold to determine which items may be unpopular or less profitable.
- Arrange for equipment maintenance and repairs and coordinate a variety of services such as waste removal and pest control.
- Train workers in food preparation, and in service, sanitation, and safety procedures.
- Coordinates with the Front Office for VIP lists, VIP fruit and cheese orders, forecast rooms sales, and any group information.
- Coordinates with Catering, Conference Services and Banquet Departments for catering procedures, Banquet Event Orders (BEO’s), and weekly forecast meetings.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited university/college or culinary school plus at least two (2) years of related experience; or high school diploma or equivalent plus at least five (5) years of related experience; or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the above skills, knowledge, and abilities.
- Computer skills required. Familiarity with Microsoft Office preferred. Experience with hotel systems such as MICROS is required.
- Knowledge of Restaurant and Culinary Operations within a hotel environment, including all laws and regulations related to these operations.
Crestline Hotels & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, identity, or disability status.