JOB TITLE: Room Chef
GAMING LICENSE REQUIRED: Class III B+
STATUS: Salaried - Exempt
POSITION REPORTS TO: Asst. Executive Chef/ Executive Chef
JOB SUMMARY: The Room Chef manages an individual restaurant kitchen operation efficiently and profitably. Supervises kitchen personnel, develops and implements procedures, and assists in preparing menus, specials and recipes, and assists in the ongoing training of kitchen personnel for the individual outlet.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description may be amended, at any time.
1. Practice, support and promote the Mission, Vision and Values of Muckleshoot Casino.
2. Assume overall responsibility for the efficient operation of the individual kitchen.
3. Schedule and trains kitchen staff and plans daily specials for lunch and dinner.
4. Provide input to Executive Chef on related procedures and operations.
5. Check portions and quality to make sure they conform to standards.
6. Establish and maintain security of all products, supplies, and equipment.
7. Provide daily/weekly prep and cleaning list for staff.
8. Oversee the cleanliness and organization of walk-ins and all kitchen storage areas.
9. Ensure all food items are prepared fresh daily.
10. Maintain a clean, sanitary kitchen, dish room, and storeroom.
11. Maintain kitchen departmental team member files to include performance appraisals and disciplines.
12. Control energy cost in the kitchen.
13. Order all necessary product, equipment, small wares etc, for the individual outlet.
14. Train Sous Chefs and cooking personnel in all necessary tasks required for food preparations of all menu items.
15. Knowledge of all food stations, hot and cold and be able to work all positions of subordinate team members.
16. Assist with establishing and maintain effective internal controls within the outlet.
17. Ensure maximum standard of service to guest is met by having food go out of the kitchen in a timely manner.
18. Be aware and correct any hazardous areas to prevent accidents.
19. Communicate with front of the house management to ensure consistency in the operation. Standards, menu changes, product availability, daily specials, policies, and procedures must be consistent seven days a week on all shifts.
20. Control food cost by establishing purchasing specifications from requisitions system, product storage requirements through standardization of recipes, and waste control procedures.
21. Responsible for all Kitchen team member payroll/time cards.
22. Conduct interviews and selects candidates for hiring consideration.
23. Must know and have full understanding of menu items and presentation.
24. Observe and tests food to determine if cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
25. Perform other supervisory functions as requested by Executive Chef and Assistant Executive Chef.
26. Mentor and establishes adequate training for Muckleshoot Tribal Member Kitchen team members.
27. Create, maintain and facilitate a positive work environment.
28. Smile and engage Guests and Team Members with a positive professional demeanor.
29. Performs other duties as assigned.
JOB DEMANDS PHYSICAL The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform essential functions of this job. Shift work, holidays, weekends, or nights may be assigned.
Ability to maneuver in all areas of casino, ascent/descent from stairs, frequent standing, walking, sitting, reaching, stooping, kneeling or crouching, and/or prolonged periods of time focusing on tasks. Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. May regularly need to lift/ move, push or pull up material or boxes necessary to the job function, with or without assistance.
Specific vision ability includes close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. Visual acuity to discern and examine text, graphics, color and symmetry. Speech to communicate clearly, express ideas and convey information in an understandable manner. Ability to hear for listening comprehension and to understand ideas presented through spoken words and sentences. Manual dexterity to operate office or required equipment and examine or update documents, records, data, instructions, logs, and files.
May have regular exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, toxic chemicals, hazardous materials, fumes, smoke, and wet, liquid or water elements. Must be able to bend, reach, squat, push, pull and/or lift at least fifty (50) pounds. Work in tight spaces and/or confined spaces. Must be able to reach with hands or arms, use hands to grasp and finger dexterity to handle objects, tools, controls, or equipment parts.
MENTAL Social perceptiveness to assess and understand other's reactions and behavior. Critical thinking to use logic and reasoning, reach conclusions/solutions. Comprehension in assessing, analyzing, and processing alpha, numeric, and visual data and completing required tasks or documents accurately. Ability to tolerate stress and conduct tasks under critical deadlines. Ability to concentrate on task over a period of time without being distracted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those a team member encounters while performing functions of his/her job and in areas monitored by security or surveillance cameras. Work in casino operations and/or internal or external environments occasionally. Exposure to second hand smoke, moderate to high noise level, bright lights, fluctuating temperatures/weather conditions.