Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Marriott’s Law Department services the Company's lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients. This attorney position is part of the broader legal practice group supporting Consumer Operations, Global Services, and U.S. / Canada Lodging. This position will specifically support the legal work regarding Technology Services and contracts and Growth Platforms to include:
- Provide legal advice and guidance for to the various teams within iT;
- Partnering with the Marriott’s growth strategy team on the legal issues and solutions for our technology platforms and solutions.
- Developing form agreements and relevant policies; and
- Advising on iT vendor disputes.
The VP & Senior Counsel - Technology Services & Growth Platforms will dual report to the VP & Assistant General Counsel – Distribution, Digital, Loyalty and Strategic Partnerships and to the VP & Senior Counsel, iT Support.
The VP & Senior Counsel will provide legal services and transactional support for the Technology Services and Growth Platforms disciplines within the Consumer Operations organization, including:
- Provides legal support and guidance for technology solutions, including negotiating new agreements, developing forms to reflect best practices, drafting amendments to existing agreements and advising on contract questions and disputes;
- Drafts and negotiates distribution agreements with technology vendors and provides legal support on related contracts or agreements and subsequent issues or projects;
- Provides legal support and advice related to Marriott’s consumer-facing channels and growth platforms such as terms and conditions, rate display errors, and hotel information;
- Drafts other documents as needed for the business such as Non-Disclosure Agreements, Pilot Agreements or Transactional agreements;
- Understands and resolves novel legal issues relating to strategic initiatives related to technology solutions and Marriott’s growth platforms;
- Provides advice and counsel to business customers on operational issues relating to technology as these areas evolve and grow;
- Identifies areas of risk and advising client with solutions to manage risk and protect the company.
- Supervises outside counsel and provides feedback accordingly;
- Collaborates with colleagues within the Law Department and works effectively with internal clients and business partners;
- Coordinates intellectual property and information privacy/security issues within Marriott and collaborates across disciplines to resolve issues;
- Participates on projects or committees as needed providing legal advice and guidance;
- Understands and resolves local law issues; and
- Participates in department or division-wide initiatives and special projects on an as needed basis.
Requirements For Position
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
- Excellent academic record with a law degree preferably from a top law school;
- Active Bar membership;
- Minimum of 12 years legal experience, preferably in the hospitality industry, commercial transactions, general corporate work or commercial real estate;
- Proven contract drafting and negotiating skills;
- Strong business acumen of the hospitality industry and in-depth knowledge of technology legal support;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason;
- Ability to work under stressful conditions with owners, lenders, and partners of properties in financial distress;
- Strong interpersonal skills, and ability to work diplomatically and effectively with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships and individual accountability across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong conflict management skills, and ability to influence without coercion;
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team formally or informally;
- Strong ability to provide advice, guidance, and coach others;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and to facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively resolve problems; and
- Ability to expeditiously identify and assess issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices and reason.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|