Rooms & Guest Services Operations
W New York – Union Square, 201 Park Avenue South, New York, New York, United States VIEW ON MAP
Entry level management position that is responsible for leading and assisting with the successful completion of daily shift requirements. Front office areas include Bell/Door Staff, Switchboard and Guest Services/Front Desk. Strives to ensure guest and employee satisfaction and achieve the operating budget. Assists in completing financial and administrative responsibilities.
Education And Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 1 year experience in the guest services, front desk, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; no work experience required.
Core Work Activities
Supporting Management Of Front Desk Team
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and building mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serves as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees' absence.
- Handles employee questions and concerns.
- Supports all areas of the Front Office in the absence of the Front Office or Front Desk Manager.
- Supports daily Front Desk shift operations.
Supporting Progress Toward Guest Services And Front Desk Goals
- Supports day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Develops specific goals and plans to prioritize, organize, and accomplish your work.
- Handles complaints, settling disputes, and resolving grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Participates in department meetings and continually communicates a clear and consistent message regarding the Front Desk goals to produce desired results.
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Observes staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Supports training of staff on adherence to all credit policies and procedures to reduce bad debts and rebates.
- Supports same day selling procedures to maximize room revenue and property occupancy.
- Understands the impact of Front Desk operations on the overall property financial goals and objectives.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides services that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations.
- Encourages employees to provide excellent customer service within guidelines.
- Handles guest problems and complaints seeking assistance from supervisor as necessary.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
Supporting Projects And Policies
- Supports implementation of customer recognition/service programs, communicating and ensuring the process.
- Assists in the review of comment cards and guest satisfaction results with employees.
- Ensures employees have the proper supplies and uniforms.
- Assists in the use of a guest information tracking system to ensure that a successful repeat guest recognition program is in use to recognize guest preferences and aid in problem resolution.
Supporting Handling Of Human Resource Activities
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Provides feedback to individuals based on observation of service behaviors.
- Participates in an ongoing employee recognition program.
- Supports training when appropriate.
- Participates in the employee performance appraisal process.
- Provides information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Informs and/or updating the executives, the peers and the subordinates on relevant information in a timely manner.
- Performs all duties at the Front Desk as necessary.
- Understands the functions of the Bell Staff, Switchboard and Concierge/Guest Services operations.
- Complies with loss prevention policies and procedures.
This position requires proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment, subject to applicable law. If you are offered employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation request is received and approved.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
Boldly coloring outside the lines of luxury, W turns the traditional notion of the extravagant hotel on its head. Our irreverent attitude and taste for excess redefine revelry for the modern jet set. Our guests have a lust for a life less ordinary that drives them to demand more, experience it all, and hit repeat.
We share our guests’ passions, providing insider access to what’s new and what’s next. Moderation is not in our vocabulary and we know that lust for life demands more, not less. W guests soak it in and live each day with a mantra: Detox.Retox.Repeat. If you’re ready to create the energetic W scene that is magnetic to everyday disruptors around the world, then we invite you to explore a career with W Hotels.