The Director of Finance is accountable for the hotel in respect of understanding and driving financial performance and is responsible to perform all finance activities within the policy, regulatory and contractual framework.
The role will business partner with the General Manager and has accountability for developing excellent working relationships across a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, including within Hotel Finance, Commercial, IT, Procurement, Human Resources, Operations, Shared Service Centers (where applicable), Owners and Assett Managers as well as Regional Operations Finance.
What will I be doing?
- Monitor and approve all sales, purchases, salaries, and expenses of the hotel.
- Analyze financial data of operations in order to educate and advise hotel staff and management on the value and benefits of internal controls and maintaining an efficient operation.
- Assist and counsel all department heads in the interpretation of financial data and recommend courses of action to maximize profitability.
- Prepare review, and present the Monthly Report of Operations.
- Prepare the monthly, three and six month projections and budgets throughout the year and advise hotel management, corporate office, and owners of any major variances and their impact on the operation
- Prepare forecasts and budgets as required (Annual, Revised Annual, Monthly, and/or on Corporate/Owner’s requests).
- Develop and monitor internal controls to safeguard hotel assets.
- Maintain adequate internal control over revenues, expenses, assets and liabilities of the hotel and ensure accounts are maintained according to GAAP and Uniform System of Accounts.
- Hire, train, and supervise Finance Department staff including coaching, counseling, and discipline.
- Direct accounting staff to ensure accurate accounting and timely reporting of financial data to department heads, hotel management, corporate office, and owners in accordance with GAAP and Hilton guidelines.
- Ensure that all licenses, permits, and insurance policies are current and are in compliance with local, state, and Federal laws.
- Monitor all contracts and agreements and advise hotel management of the terms, conditions and benefits.
- Assume cash management responsibilities, including preparation of statement of cash flow and, if necessary, statement of changes in financial position.
- Establish and audit all internal financial controls, including purchasing, cash handling and disbursements, inventories, hotel equipment, master keys, and personnel time records.
- Provide financial oversight of the capital expenditure process.
- Ensure capital projects are completed within established critical path and financial projections. Conduct post completion audits of capital projections.
- Ensure hotel is in compliance with Corporate Policies (SPI’s) and governmental rules and regulations.
- Report irregularities and non-compliant situations to General Manager and VP-US Hotel Operational Finance as required by corporate guidelines.
- Assume leadership role in the education of supervisory staff in financial management.
- Ensure timely completion of all Balance Sheet account reconciliation’s.
- Ensure that the best interest of the hotel, HHC and owners are protected. Seek legal advice, if deemed necessary, from the legal department of HHC.
- Ensure compliance with financial record retention policies.
- Administer the competitive bidding process.
- Cooperate with Internal/External audits. Implement agreed upon recommendation.
- Ensure timely customer satisfaction (external and internal) on accounting related inquiries and requests.
- Oversee responsibilities of computer networking operations and computer applications within the hotel.
- Any other tasks assigned by General Manager.
What are we looking for?
• Strategic thinker with the ability to formulate effective goals, objectives and priorities with a long term perspective
• Strong communication and negotiation skills (all levels of management and external customers)
• Financial and operational analytical skills (operational analysis)
• Knowledge of departmental and hotel operations
• Ability to exercise judgment in evaluating situations and in making sound decisions
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data
• Leadership and organizational skills (team orientation, flexible, adaptable)
• Ability to analyze large volume of complex financial information from many sources and create reports, forecasts projections
• Proficiency in MS Office suite applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint)
University degree in Accounting or Finance / Accounting certification (eg CIMA)
Hotel level or industry experience
What will it be like to work for Hilton?
Hilton is the leading global hospitality company, spanning the lodging sector from luxurious full-service hotels and resorts to extended-stay suites and mid-priced hotels. For nearly a century, Hilton has offered business and leisure travelers the finest in accommodations, service, amenities and value. Hilton is dedicated to continuing its tradition of providing exceptional guest experiences across its global brands. Our vision “to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality” unites us as a team to create remarkable hospitality experiences around the world every day. And, our amazing Team Members are at the heart of it all!