This position contributes to the success of The Los Angeles Athletic Club(“Company,” “Club”) by ensuring all hotel guests are treated to a positive and memorable experience including a welcoming, clean, stocked and presentable hotel area with a friendly and welcoming cleaning staff.
A. Conduct Effective Quality Control
- Manage the housekeeping supply room: maintain inventory at par levels
- Refill amenity bottles and restock housekeeping supply room with amenities
- Maintain supply closets in an organized fashion with all supplies clearly labeled, neat, and clean at all times
- Inspect rooms for quality of cleaning, amenities, and functions (TVs working, clocks, irons, hairdryers, lights, etc) as a final step to reporting them as ready for a guest
- Review rooms to ensure all deep cleaning tasks have been properly completed
- Maintain cleaning equipment (vacuums, UV lights, upholstery cleaner, etc) and report necessary repairs or need for replacements
B. Support Cleaning Staff Efficiently with Heavy Tasks and Room Finishing Details:
- Clear trash from hotel floors; dispose trash in dumpster and ensure carts are clean at beginning of shift
- Assist room cleaners with moving and lifting furniture and items over 20 lbs (for example, chair, sofa, side table)
- Conduct minor repairs of room equipment (updating time on clocks, resetting alarms, replacing light bulb, programming TV, etc.)
- Bring guest supplies (soap, paper products, coffee, etc) to the storage closets as they arrive at receiving
- Wash glasses and mugs taken from rooms in the dishwasher and restock them in supply closets
- Stock carts with appropriate cleaning supplies; run supplies to Cleaners from supply room to hotel rooms
C. Represent housekeeping department evenings and when supervisor is off duty:
- Offer evening turndown service to in house guests and prep rooms for later arrivals (turning on lamps, prepping bed, laying out robes…)
- Inspect rooms prior to guests same day arrival to make sure all amenities are in place and the room is ready
- Deliver amenities, towels, and supplies to rooms as requested by guests through the front desk and follow up letting front desk know that the task has been completed.
- Set up special VIP gifts and welcome treats to rooms based on special notes and management directions
- Be on call housekeeping representative to show guests to rooms, assist with luggage when needed etc.
- Understand basic working of Hotel Operating System with ability to see arrivals, update rooms status, and review in house guests’ lists.
D. Process Hotel Room Linens (Towels and Sheets)
- Prepare rooms for cleaning by stripping beds and bathrooms as guests vacate hotel rooms
- Remove dirty linens from housekeeping carts throughout the day so that carts are never full or overflowing
- Sort towels from sheets when stripping rooms and take to the laundry room to be cleaned
- Separate and label stained items to be treated while sorting linens
- Collect clean linens from laundry, fold them, sort them by size and type
- Stock housekeeping storage room and carts with fresh towels and linens at start of shift and as needed throughout the day
E. Maintain Hotel Common Areas neat, clean, and welcoming
- Mop elevator lobbies at least once a day and as needed throughout the day
- Clean bathrooms on 12th floor at the beginning of every shift, end of every shift, and as needed throughout the day
- Vacuum and dust hallways daily and as needed
- Clean walls and doors throughout hotel floors daily and as needed
- Vacuum stairwells between 10th and 12th floors at least 5 times per week
F. Coordinate and Assist with Deep Cleaning of Hotel Rooms:
- Coordinate with supervisor to prepare rooms for deep cleaning and projects (cleaning curtains, cleaning upholstery, etc.)
- Assist cleaning staff with anything requiring a 2 people; for example hold and steady ladder for each other
- Turn and inspect mattresses to ensure there is no damage, no insects, and they are not soiled
- Move furnishings as needed to clean and inspect
- Use carpet/floor/upholstery cleaning machines in a safe manner for assigned areas
- Clean and maintain in-room appliances in proper working condition (coffee makers, irons, hairdryers, etc)
G. Communicate with front desk, engineering, and supervisor
- Update notes and information using regular hotel communication protocols
- Respond to guest requests and front desk requests in a timely manner and follow up when needed
- Check in with supervisor with assignment status updates at least 3 times throughout the day
H. Exemplify our Club values at work and during all offsite work-related events
Teamwork; Work collectively to realize goals that are greater than what you can achieve individually.
Friendliness; create an authentic, welcoming environment for all patrons; be friendly, greet members with a smile, give a sincere farewell, and use member’s name whenever possible.
Health; promote health by demonstrating a long-term and all-encompassing approach to health, which integrates soundness of mind, body, and spirit.
Heritage; embrace the values and traditions inherited from the club founders.
Strive for Wonderment; create an ambiance of wonder for our members and guests by creating marvel and unexpected joy in every club experience.
I. Consistently adhere to the Los Angeles Athletic core service standards:
- Exemplify high-quality hospitality by making every member, guest, and business partner feel welcomed, valued, respected, and listened to; greet at every encounter, offer assistance to anyone who appears in need, escort individuals to correct destination.
- Take responsibility for maintaining an uncompromisingly clean Club; maintain your work area neat and clean, clean after yourself in employee and member areas, be proactive in maintaining member areas neat and clean by performing minor clean up as needed (i.e., cleaning minor food and liquid spills, storing forgotten exercise equipment, wiping equipment, etcetera); and promptly report needed repairs, potential safety issues, significant cleaning jobs to housekeeping, cleaning, and/or engineering department.
- Follow through with resolutions to problems from beginning to end; break away from your regular duties if needed to follow through on resolutions.
- Be knowledgeable of Club information; maintain sufficient and updated information to be able to easily answer questions from members and guest thoroughly from beginning to end.
- Practice personal hygiene; wear clean and pressed clothing, Club name tag, and proper uniform if required by your position.
- Use proper and welcoming telephone etiquette; do not screen calls, answer calls by the 3rd ring, smile while you speak.
- Reply to emails the same day you receive them.
- Anticipate and comply with member needs and record their preferences.
- Be an ambassador of the Los Angeles Athletic Club in and outside the workplace; always represent yourself and the club professionally and with respect.
J. Ensure A Safe Work Environment:
- Comply with the Company Health and Safety (H&S) processes while working on projects, initiatives and other work-related duties; perform job duties in a way that will not cause danger to self or others, or violate local, state, federal, environmental regulations.
- Promptly correct or report any hazard, potential hazard, or unsafe work condition to the Safety Manager, Director of Engineering, and/or Human Resources; wear protective equipment when required; ensure work location is kept safe, clean, and organized.
- Ensure first aid kit on 11th Floor is fully stocked
- Make sure all exit sign lights are functioning properly
- Ensure elevator lobby floors and hallways are free of debris and wet areas mopped immediately
K. Initiate Professional Growth:
- Consistently evaluate work for efficiency, quality, alignment with the Company’s service standards, and compliance with Company policies and procedures.
- Seek out opportunities to enhance personal skills set relevant to job tasks.
- Maintain current on product knowledge, best practices, and skills needed to meet the demands of your position.
Education, licenses, certification, and/or essential qualifications
- Desired: Minimum of 3 years in position of Houseperson or similar positions in Hospitality
- Desired: H.S. Diploma/GED/ or Equivalent or Associate’s Degree in janitorial or related field, or equivalent of 3 years’ experience in same/similar position.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills (Bi-lingual in English and Spanish or other language is an asset in this position); must be able to communicate clearly with members and guests as well as co-workers.
- Possess good technical and mechanical skills of small appliances (i.e., TV programming, alarm clocks, coffee machines, iron, hair dryers, etc.).
- At least eighteen (18) years of age.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)