At Hyatt, we’re working to Advance Care through data-driven decisions and automation. This mission serves as the foundation for every decision as we create the future of travel. We can’t do that without the best talent – talent that is innovative, curious, and driven to create exceptional experiences for our guests, customers, owners, and colleagues. Hyatt seeks an experienced Senior Data Engineer who will be an exceptional addition to our growing engineering team. The Senior Data Engineer will work closely with engineering, product managers and data science teams to meet data requirements of various initiatives in Hyatt. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will take on big data challenges in an agile way. In this role, you will build data pipelines that enable engineers, analysts, and other stakeholders across the organization. You will build data models to deliver insightful analytics while ensuring the highest standard in data integrity. You will integrate different data sources, improve the efficiency, reliability, and latency of our data system, help automate data pipelines, and improve our data model and overall architecture. You will be leading multiple data projects with planned and coordinated execution and on-time delivery of quality products. You will be part of a highly visible, collaborative, and passionate data engineering team and will be working on all the aspects of design, development and implementation of scalable and reliable data products and pipelines. Applying the latest techniques and approaches across the domains of data engineering, and machine learning engineering isn’t just a nice to have, it’s a must.
This candidate builds fantastic relationships across all levels of the organization and is recognized as a problem solver who looks to elevate the work of everyone around them.
Who We Are
Hyatt is proud to have a culture where coworkers become friends and family. Since 1957, our focus on care for our employees and our guests has served as the heart of our business and made Hyatt one of the best hospitality brands in the world, with more than 1000 hotels, all-inclusive, and wellness resort properties in 67 countries across six continents.
As we continue to grow – even during the most challenging and uncertain times – we never lose sight of what’s most important: People.
We are in a time of extraordinary transformation. Passion for personal travel combined with the explosive growth of global business underpinned our growth for years. With Covid-19, much travel has ceased - but the passion for travel remains. Now that vaccines have been introduced, one of the things people look forward to most is traveling. Hyatt is at the epicenter of the return to travel - and we are looking for passionate changemakers to be a part of our journey. When you join Hyatt, you will join a world of possibility.
How We Care for Our People
Wellbeing is the ultimate realization of our purpose — we care for people so they can be their best. We believe this focus on employees is the key to our success and we’ve earned a place on Fortune’s prestigious “100 Best Companies to Work For®” for the last seven years, ranking No. 28 in 2020.
We’re proud to offer exceptional benefits which may include:
• Complimentary and discounted stays at Hyatt hotels around the world
• A global family assistance policy with paid time off following the birth or adoption of a child as well as financial assistance for adoption
• Work-life benefits including wellbeing initiatives such as a complimentary Headspace subscription, on-site rest and relaxation, meditation lounges and flexible schedules
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Hyatt has made significant strides toward building a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture. With more than 127,000 colleagues across 67 countries, we embrace all cultures, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, abilities, perspectives, and ways of thinking. Our culture is one that empowers every individual to be his or her best, and such authentic connection inspires the way we care for each other and for our guests.
Who You Are
We care about your qualifications, but we care more about your qualities when you join the Hyatt family. As our ideal candidate, you understand the power and purpose of our Culture of Care and share our core values of Respect, Integrity, Humility, Empathy, Creativity and Fun. Our colleagues embody our purpose of caring for people, including each other, our guests, and ultimately our owners. This commitment to genuine service and care is what differentiates us and drives guest preference.
• Collaborate with product managers, data scientists, engineering, and program management teams to define product features, business deliverables and strategies for data products
• Collaborate with business partners, operations, senior management, etc on day-to-day operational support
• Support operational reporting, self-service data engineering efforts, production data pipelines, and business intelligence suite
• Interface with multiple diverse stakeholders and gather/understand business requirements, assess feasibility and impact, and deliver on time with high quality
• Design appropriate solutions and recommend alternative approaches when necessary
• Work with high volumes of data, fine tuning database queries and able to solve complex technical problems
• Contribute to multiple projects/demands simultaneously
• Work in a fast paced, collaborative, and iterative environment
• Exercise independent judgment in methods and techniques for obtaining results
• Work in an agile/scrum environment
• Use state of the art technologies to acquire, ingest and transform big datasets
The ideal candidate demonstrates a commitment to Hyatt core values: respect, integrity, humility, empathy, creativity, and fun.
• 5 to 8 years of experience within the field of data engineering or related technical work including business intelligence, analytics
• Experience and comfort solving problems in an ambiguous environment where there is constant change. Have the tenacity to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, inspire change, and collaborate with a variety of individuals and organizational partners
• Experience designing and building scalable and robust data pipelines to enable data-driven decisions for the business
• Very good understanding of the full software development life cycle
• Very good understanding of Data warehousing concepts and approaches
• Experience in building Data pipelines and ETL approaches using Informatica IICS and PowerCenter
• Experience in building high-volume data workflows in a cloud environment
• Experience in building Data warehouse and Business intelligence projects
• Good Experience using Snowflake environment.
• Experience in data cleansing, data validation and data wrangling
• Hands-on experience in AWS cloud and AWS native technologies such as Glue, Lambda, Kinesis, Lake Formation, S3, Redshift
• Experience using Spark EMR, RDS, EC2, Athena, API capabilities, CloudWatch, CloudTrail is a plus
• Experience with Business Intelligence tools like Tableau, Cognos, ThoughtSpot, etc. is a plus
• Hands-on experience building complex business logics and ETL workflows using Informatica PowerCenter is preferred
• Experience in one of the scripting languages: Python or Unix Scripting
• Proficient in SQL, PL/SQL, relational databases (RDBMS), database concepts and dimensional modeling
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrate integrity and maturity, and a constructive approach to challenges
• Demonstrate analytical and problem-solving skills, particularly those that apply to Data Warehouse and Big Data environments
• Open minded, solution oriented and a very good team player
• Passionate about programming and learning new technologies; focused on helping yourself and the team improve skills
• Effective problem solving and analytical skills.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and report simultaneously across different stakeholders
• Rigorous attention to detail and accuracy
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Finance, or a related quantitative field
• The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be construed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary
Hyatt is a leading global hospitality company guided by its purpose – to care for people so they can be their best. With more than 160,000 colleagues across more than 70 countries, we embrace all cultures, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, ages, abilities, perspectives, and ways of thinking. Our culture is one that empowers every person to be their best, and such authentic connection inspires how we care for each other and for our guests. We care for our colleagues with benefits and perks including travel perks, work-life benefits, training and upskilling opportunities, and personal wellbeing initiatives.
Hyatt's portfolio includes more than 1,150 hotel and all-inclusive properties across six continents, and the recent acquisition of Apple Leisure Group added 96 properties in 10 countries. Each of our brands provides a distinct experience, while all of our hotels deliver genuine care. This sets us apart from the competition and helps us fulfill our aspiration to be the most preferred brand everywhere we serve.
Our purpose – to care for people so they can be their best - defines us at Hyatt. We see it in the way we treat each other and our guests. It's our superpower. We channel this strength into our vision for evolving the future of hospitality. We create a culture of warmth, empathy and respect. We build connections, celebrate success and create inclusive environments, together.
“Hyatt has a special place in my heart. When I was sick in the hospital, I received so much support from my peers at work and Human resources sent flowers along with a card. From that moment, I realized Grand Hyatt Washington was more than an employer, they were my family.”
- Beverly, Room Attendant
Being part of Hyatt means always having space to be you. We are passionate about diversity, equity and inclusion. Our global teams are a mosaic of cultures, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities and identities. We constantly strive to reflect the world we care for with teams that achieve and grow together.
“At Hyatt, we love to connect with our guests and customers — and with each other. We host various events throughout the year, from company-wide Diversity Business Resource Group (DBRG) activities, to team-led events such as virtual breakfast clubs and happy hours.”
- Danielle, Associate Vice President, Loyalty Finance
At Hyatt, there’s a home for every stage of your career. We nurture curiosity, helping you to learn new skills that support your personal and professional development. Chart your own journey by venturing into new roles, different brands and international opportunities. Here, doors are meant to be opened and horizons expanded. With us, you’ll discover a career you didn’t know existed.
We are in a time of extraordinary transformation and one of the things that people are looking forward to most is traveling. Hyatt is looking for passionate change-makers to be a part of our journey — with our digital and technology areas at the heart of where we are investing and growing.”
- Julia, Senior Vice President, Global Head of Digital & Technology
World of Care is designed to address the pressing challenges faced by our colleagues, guests, owners and communities and enact meaningful change within its industry. Learn more.
We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and preserving our natural resources.
We care for the wellbeing of our colleagues, guests, owners and communities and are committed to advancing a culture of opportunity for all.
We embrace our responsibility to create fair and ethical business, both within and beyond our company and Hyatt properties.
• 100 Best Companies to Work For – FORTUNE
• 100 Best National Large Companies to Work For – Built-In
• Chicago Best Large Companies to Work For – Built-In
• Chicago Best Paying Companies – Built-In
• Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality – Human Rights Campaign
• 100 Best Companies to Work For – FORTUNE & Great Place to Work
• Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality – Human Rights Campaign
• America’s Best Employers for Diversity – Forbes
• Best Places to Work – Glassdoor
• 100 Companies that Care – PEOPLE & Great Place to Work
• Best Workplaces for Women – FORTUNE & Great Place to Work
• Best Workplaces for Millennials – FORTUNE & Great Place to Work