Job Title: Pastry Chef
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $20-$30, per hour
Reports to: Executive Chef
Summary/objective: The Pastry Chef is responsible for operating the pastry section of the kitchen while working closely with the Executive Chef. The position is responsible for creating high quality pastry dishes with the standard recipes and presentations in order to maintain quality standards and consistency of product. The Pastry Chef and their team will be responsible for the production and maintenance of par stocks of pastry and dessert with proper rotation of products and maintain highest cleanliness and hygiene standard in the pastry and bakery section. The Pastry Chef will also be required to plan production and develop seasonal offerings.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Greet each guest, enthusiastically and with a smile to create a friendly positive experience.
- Conforms to AAA Four Diamond Standards.
- Manages all day-to-day operations of the pastry and bakery section of the kitchen.
- Preparing and serving deserts, pastries and other baked foods for the food and beverage department(s).
- Able to produce all baked goods including but not limited to artisan breads and rolls, muffins, laminated Danish, laminated croissants and doughnuts etc.
- To portion, plate, and tray all desserts.
- Create unique baked goods based on client specifications
- Ensure that the kitchen is clean at all times and meets all local and state health code requirements
- Developing creative customized cakes and baked goods for banquets and weddings
- Prepare and present dessert/pastry items at company hosted tasting events for people considering working with our business for their special event
- Meet with guests as requested to discuss specific baking needs and any special requests for their special event(s)
- Assisting the food and beverage manager(s) with presentation or serving of pastry/desserts during restaurant operations or for special events.
- Assisting the hotel/restaurants sales and marketing team in developing customized menus for specific clients or groups
- Creates, designs, and implements seasonal menus for restaurant service
- Creates, designs, and implements dessert/pastry menus for events
- Ensures that all deserts, pastries, and baked goods are prepared and served in a timely manner.
- Assists with providing inventory, cost analysis and payroll numbers to Executive Chef for annual budget
- Perform all other duties as assigned by management.
- Fully aware of and comply with Inns policies and procedures as identified in the procedure manual and handbook.
- Adhere to all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Supervisory Essential Duties
- Interview, recommend hiring, schedule, train, develop, empower, coach and counsel, resolve problems, provide open communication, recommend and conduct performance and salary reviews,
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out.
- Conduct training and have regular meetings to increase staff performance and knowledge.
- Providing support and coaching for team members to drive high levels of performance, job satisfaction, and personal growth
- Training and empowering pastry team members to exercise good judgment to make profitable business decisions
- Ensuring that the pastry team is effectively using the tools available
- Scheduling staff as needed, including weekend coverage, event coverage, and ability for clients to reach staff with messages and/or emails after normal business hours so that a sense of urgency and response can be maintained
- Working conditions are based in a hospitality setting.
- Associates may be exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time.
- Noise level in work environment is usually moderate.
- Exposure to cleaning solvents and chemicals.
- Some exposure to smoke, steam, high temperatures and humidity.
- To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to stand, move and work throughout the kitchen area and property, including walking up to 1 Â½ mile, climbing stairs and standing at a desk/workstation for the duration of the shift.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell.
- The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Culinary ability and creativity
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to work productively in fast paced environment
- Leadership skills
Required education and experience
- High school diploma or GED
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in pastry cooking or Pastry Chef Experience with high volume food production.
Preferred education and experience
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major.
Additional eligibility requirements
- Maintains all current licenses and certifications
- Be familiar with all Hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond to guest inquiries accurately.
- Maintains high standards for work area and appearance and presents self in highly professional manner to staff and guest.
- Available days, evenings, weekends, holidays and extended hours as business dictates.
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
Saybrook Point Resort & Marina requires all newly hired employees to provide documentation that they are legally authorized to work in the United States.
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Saybrook Point Resort & Marina is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or veteran status.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.