Marriott International HQ, 7750 Wisconsin Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland, United States VIEW ON MAP
Marriott operates and franchises hotels and licenses vacation ownership resorts and branded residential properties worldwide. Marriott’s Law Department services the Company's lodging and hospitality business and provides legal advice and counsel to Marriott’s internal clients.
The attorney in this position will be a member of Marriott International’s Law Department in the Global Legal Compliance group at Marriott’s corporate headquarters in Bethesda, Maryland, USA. The attorney will provide legal support and regulatory compliance advice on global data security and privacy matters.
This position will be located in our Bethesda office and will report to the Vice President & Senior Counsel, Global Compliance, Data Security & Privacy.
Specific Job Duties, Responsibilities, and Expected Contributions
The VP & Corporate Counsel’s primary responsibilities will be to:
- Provide guidance to corporate disciplines and other internal stakeholders to ensure compliance with global regulatory matters involving technology, cybersecurity, and privacy;
- Lead the Company’s ongoing obligations to submit required paperwork, certifications, or other updates to regulatory authorities as may be required;
- Maintain strong coordination, cooperation, and mutual support between the Law Department and other corporate departments with compliance obligations to independently ensure that such obligations and responsibilities are being fulfilled across the Company, including providing advice and guidance to business partners in Global Information Security, the Global Privacy Office, Global Technology, Loyalty, Customer Engagement Centers, Global M&A, the Corporate Secretary, Finance, Procurement, Human Resources, Consumer Experience, Communications, Operations, and Owner & Franchise Services.
- Communicate compliance progress with senior executive leadership and the Board of Directors during both regular and ad hoc governance meetings, which will include preparing executive summaries, briefing decks, and other clear and concise written and oral updates about regulatory compliance matters;
- Communicate with regulatory authorities and respond to government inquiries as appropriate or required, particularly in the United States, including through both proactive and responsive written submissions;
- Monitor and communicate with other internal and external stakeholders regarding compliance issues related to global regulatory matters by reviewing reports and providing status updates;
- Drive continued risk mitigation, including tracking and analyzing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) in an independent and efficient manner;
- Coordinate independent third-party assessments conducted by outside experts, summarize and report on the results to senior executive leadership and the Board of Directors in a clear and concise fashion, and help to supervise, track, and implement any recommendations or remediation actions related to the same; and
- Monitor evolving laws, regulations, and best practices in the areas of cybersecurity and privacy to help identify critical legal issues and recommend practical compliance solutions.
Successful candidates should possess the experience, knowledge, and skills as follows:
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.
- Minimum of 5 years’ total legal experience required, with hands-on experience in data security and/or privacy counseling and overseeing or administering complex regulatory matters preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in providing legal and regulatory advice on data security and privacy matters preferred.
- Excellent academic records with a law degree (J.D.) from a top law school;
- Admission to the Bar of a US state;
- Strong project management skills, with an ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects and resources with a sense of urgency and to navigate within a complex organization in a deadline-driven environment;
- High degree of technical competence and familiarity with computer systems and networks, including leading IT-security technologies and terminology;
- Experience interfacing with government authorities having jurisdiction over privacy and data security compliance matters, particularly in the United States;
- Good working knowledge of key cybersecurity and privacy laws, regulations, and best practices (e.g., GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, PIPEDA, Australia Privacy Act, and the China Cybersecurity Law);
- Highly-collaborative team player who values teammates;
- Flexibility and adaptability in addressing global issues as they arise across multiple time zones by being sensitive to potential local business and cultural differences;
- Independent and creative thinker who can thrive in a matrixed and collaborative organization and lead projects that require building consensus and driving execution;
- Ability to expeditiously identify and analyze issues and provide legally sound recommendations consistent with good business practices;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work diplomatically with individuals at all levels;
- Ability to foster relationships across the organization;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation and PowerPoint skills;
- Excellent conflict management skills and ability to influence without coercion;
- Ability to balance priorities, work activities, and resources for the benefit of multiple key stakeholders;
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and facilitate the implementation of creative solutions;
- Ability to work independently, take ownership of and effectively solve problems; and
- Available for business travel.
|Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?|