This is a job description for COMPLEX BANQUET BEVERAGE CAPTAIN
Job Title: Complex Banquet Beverage Captain
Department: F&B - Banquets
Company: Grand Hyatt & Union Station
Reports To: Dir. Of Events Operations
Supervises: Banquet Beverage Department
Job Purpose: Oversee the general day-to-day operations of the Complex Banquet Beverage Department, including overseeing the beverage bartenders, barbacks, maintaining inventory, ordering beverages, reviewing bartender & Barback’s schedule and staffing, trend-setting innovation in beverage service, and assigning responsibility of EOs and groups to captains as a beverage lead.
1. Maintain effective communication
2. Overseeing the execution of Bar service according to standards.
3. Distribute daily work assignment to bartenders, Setting up bar’s products for bartenders.
4. Ensuring the highest level of guest satisfaction through effective supervision of service, oversee the process to
maintain product stored and served at optimum temperatures.
5. Continuously monitor employee satisfaction and provide the proper tools and resources.
6. Maintain the beverage equipment and supplies.
7. Developing bartenders through mentoring, training.
8. Order and inventory daily supplies for execution of event orders.
9. Develop group signature drink when requested and follow through to completion.
10. Monitor department closing procedures through enforcement of bartender checklists.
11. Controlling of alcohol and beverages costs, inventory control and financial responsibility for the department.
12. Ensure all alcohol and beverages are record in inventory sheet/consumption sheets.
13. Conduct beverage training (Wine, Mixology, Beer tasting classes, etc.) as needed.
14. Maintain monthly inventory including; collect all inventory count sheets, verify accuracy and make adjustments if
15. Mostly PM shift with AM flexibility due to business demands.
16. Making sure beverage room and bars are kept clean and organize.
17. Prepare reports, as requested, including internal beverage costs, to develop a more informative data base for
improved management decision making and critical evaluation of work activities.
18. Treat guests, associates and vendors with professionalism and respect.
19. Maintain a safe working environment by following safety guidelines.
20. Ensure the proper authorization for the release of product and account for daily beverage issues.
21. Record all received items from purchasing/carriers and deliver to appropriate location using carts and pallet
22. Maintain Banquet Liquor Rooms in different areas of the hotel.
23. Proficiently manage bottle for bottle liquor inventory system.
24. Maintain Banquet wine and beer coolers.
25. Assist accounting team colleagues in monthly inventory. Help Spot check liquor/ beer/ wine.
26. Maintain accurate inventory of Liquor/ Beer/ Wine at all times.
27. Submit weekly beverage orders to Banquet management to include any special requests for upcoming groups.
28. Coverage of floor as a Banquet captain due to business demands or any special circumstances.
29. Manage all and any other responsibilities as assigned.
1. Negotiation skills. Judgment and decision-making skills.
2. Analytical skills. Microsoft Excel basic skills.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills. Good Interpersonal skills.
4. Able to use Electrical or Manuel pallet jacks to move good to and from different points in the hotel.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: Minimum of two years banquet supervisor/captain experience required.
Licenses/Certifications: Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) and Food Handlers cards may be required (varies by property).
Licenses/Certifications: Valid Driver’s License
1. Help with Interview, select and train bartenders
2. Direct the work of associates
3. Appraise associates’ productivity & efficiency
4. Handle associate complaints
5. Plan the work
6. Determine the techniques to be used
7. Apportion the work among associates
8. Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
9. Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
10. Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates
Ability to push and/ or pull equipment. Must be able to stand, stoop, bend, crawl, reach above and below shoulders, repetitive arms and wrist move, climb ladders, stairs and walk on uneven surfaces. Ability to speak and hear in English. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing. Frequently lifts/carries up to 50 lbs. Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
Additional physical & visual requirements:
1. Identify and distinguish colors
2. Stand for long periods of time
3. Walk extended distances
4. Lift/carry 6-25 lbs.
5. Lift/carry 26-50 lbs.
6. Lift/carry over 50 lbs.
7. Reach hands and arms in any direction
8. Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly
Additional working conditions
1. Outdoor weather conditions
2. Wet or humid conditions
3. Near moving or mechanical parts