Under the direction of the Executive Pastry Chef, the Assistant Executive Pastry Chef will direct, assist, and train all sous chefs, lead bakers, and bakers in the production and preparation of baked products, baking methods, and ingredients as set by Food & Beverage/Culinary Management teams. The assistant executive pastry chef is responsible for the quality and final product for the guest (venue). They will maintain all food, equipment, and kitchens to set health codes and casino standards maintain a positive, team-oriented, and accommodating attitude toward guests (internal and external), fellow team members, and management.
1. Completes production records, forecast production, and maintains order guides for the department. Additionally, assist with the daily food purchase orders requisition and prepare weekly inventory reports for the Executive Pastry Chef. To minimize waste, overstocking, and general clutter, ensure that the ordering is controlled efficiently.
2. Ensure all bakery personnel are trained and informed regularly. Hold meetings with team members, leads, and chefs as needed.
3. Efficiently maintain sanitation, safety, and food quality standards. Manage daily bakery operations, including ordering, compliance, employee engagement, scheduling, staffing, and disciplinary actions.
4. Ensures special events, banquets, and venue specials are organized and executed in consultation with the Executive Pastry Chef for approval of ideas, designs, displays, and projects.
5. Oversees quality and assurance checks for all property venues, community center, and tribal entities. Operational standards must be followed for pastries and baked goods preparation.
6. Verifies all recipes used by the team and communicates any revisions to the executive pastry chef. Trains team members the ability to use different types of scales such as triple beam scale and digital scales. Additionally, train basic knowledge of measurement and kitchen math, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
7. Notifies supervisor of concerns, discrepancies, accidents, and violations. Attend all safety meetings and follow policies.
8. Performs other duties as assigned to support the efficient operation of the department.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the enterprise’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, reviewing and directing work; evaluating and appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Associates Degree in Baking and Pastry required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Baking and Pastry preferred.
Baking and Pastry Degree highly preferred.
Minimum three (3) years of supervisory experience in a full-service bakery required.
Minimum four (4) years’ experience working in high-volume baking or production baking in a full-service baking establishment or food service establishment required.
Related, relevant, and/or direct experience may be considered in lieu of minimum educational requirements indicated above
Must possess knowledge and ability to perform basic and advance baking methods and products (cakes, breads, fine pastries, cookies, mousses, chocolates, special order cakes, etc.), and use standard baking production equipment.
Maintain clean and proper work attire in accordance with company policy.
Must have good basic mathematical, organizational and communication skills.
Ability to motivate baking team to ensure quality and production of all baked products are up to set standards.
Must possess the ability to perform any Baking position..
Must obtain and maintain a current Food Handlers Card within 90 days of employment.
Must have a current and active Serve safe certification.
At the discretion of the San Manuel Tribal Gaming Commission, you may be required to obtain and maintain a gaming license.
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with applicable law.
As one of the largest private employers in the Inland Empire, San Manuel deeply cares about the future, growth and well-being of its employees. Join our team today!
Yaamava’ Resort & Casino at San Manuel is located just 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles in the city of Highland, CA. It is one of the largest casinos on the West Coast, with 7,000 slot machines, 150 table games, and five high-limit rooms. We are one of the top 10 largest casino resorts in the US.
Guests enjoy sweeping views of the San Bernardino Mountains, live entertainment, and a full array of dining options, which include The Pines Modern Steakhouse, Hong Bao Kitchen, Serrano Vista Cafe, Rock & Brews, Chingon Kitchen, Big Mo’ Cafe, and 11 bars and lounges.
The Serrano Spa earned a Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star award, and The Pines Modern Steakhouse and Yaamava’ Resorteach earned a Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star award, with all three being the first in the Inland Empire to receive such designation. Yaamava' Resort and Casino at San Manuel also received two 2023 AAA Four Diamonds ratings for the new hotel and The Pines Modern Steakhouse.
The hotel is a 17-story tower with 432 guest rooms. Guests relax in an elevated pool with a bar and private cabanas, the lavish full-service Serrano spa and salon, a health and fitness center, a full array of dining options, multiple bars and lounges, and luxe retail shops.
Indian gaming in California is an exciting, thriving industry. Whether working on the casino floor or providing support to gaming operations as a “behind the scenes” employee, you can contribute to a dynamic and challenging business and have opportunities to learn and grow with the gaming industry.
At San Manuel, our team members define us. Working at San Manuel is more than just a job. It is a career that will help you grow into the successful professional you want to be.
Our benefits focus on five key areas of wellness - financial, emotional, physical, social, and occupational - because we know it takes more than a salary to thrive. The benefits under each category include everything from retirement, insurance and dental benefits to emotional wellness programs, home repair services, and much more.